Barista Brawl – Veneziano Coffee Roasters
30 baristas work their way through 5 disciplines testing their barista skills, building points as they go, the top 4 scores go through to the final Brewers Cup Challenge presenting their best expression of the competition coffee roasted by Veneziano and donated by Café Imports.
5 stations – 5 minutes each station
1. Pour It – Spin the wheel to decide your pattern and milk and pour 2 identical patterns in a 200 ml latte glass.
2. Taste It – Identify the origin, the processing method, varietal, 3 tasting notes and intensity and type of acidity of a sample of brewed coffee.
3. Smell It – Identify the coffee aromas from 8 vials.
4. Assess It – Guess the intensity of sweet, salt and sour mixed in 2 different solutions.
5. Secret Challenge (revealed on the night)
TOP 4 final challenge
Brew It – Competitors will brew a 300ml yield filter coffee using their own brewing device and grinder (or the EK provided) and present it to 2 judges for assessment using the compulsory score sheet from the Brewers Cup. The microlot, roasted by Veneziano and supplied by Café Imports will be sent out to competitors prior to the event.
Prize Pool – Worth $7000+
1st place – $5000 plus prize pack
2nd place -$1000 plus prize pack
3rd place – $500 plus prize pack
4th place – $250 plus prize pack